All positions in the Battle Ground Police Department, with the exception of the Chief of Police and Administrative Assistant to the Chief, are classified as civil service positions in the City of Battle Ground in accordance with RCW 41.12.
Civil Service Commission
The primary focus of the Civil Service Commission is to ensure that pre-employment testing, hiring processes, and promotional examinations for Police Department civil service employees are conducted in a fair, valid, competitive, and non-discriminatory manner. More information can be found in our Civil Service Rules.
Commissioned Police Officer Positions
- Entry-Level Police Officer applicants must begin the application process by testing through Public Safety Testing. The testing consists of a written exam and a physical agility test. The names and scores of all passing candidates will be sent to us upon completion.
Academy Graduate applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a graduate of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC) Basic Law Enforcement Academy; OR
- Be a trainee currently attending the WSCJTC Basic Law Enforcement Academy who has successfully completed the Academy mid-term examination and is scheduled for graduation from the Academy within 60 days of applying; OR
- Be a graduate of an equivalent training academy from a state that has reciprocity with the WSCJTC; must successfully complete the WSCJTC Equivalency Academy and examination after appointment.
Lateral Police Officer applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant is required to have been employed as a state-commissioned law enforcement officer on a full-time basis for a period of at least 24 months at time of application for employment with the City of Battle Ground.
- Out of state applicants must have the necessary training and experience to become certified with the WSCJTC and successfully complete the Equivalency Academy and examination after appointment.
Police Department Specialty Assignments
The Battle Ground Police Department is a full-service organization with challenging opportunities in police work for individuals who are interested in providing quality law enforcement services to the public. Battle Ground Police Department offers a variety of specialty assignments such as: