Commercial & Industrial Businesses

Wastewater that comes from commercial and industrial businesses is very different then the wastewater that comes from residences. It therefore must be treated differently.

All rules for pretreatment in the City can be found in BGMC 13.137. The City is currently a member of the Discovery Clean Water Alliance, providing pretreatment services of our wastewater.

The City’s wastewater treatment facilities are designed and operated to take care of domestic wastewater. Industrial and commercial wastewater can contain concentrations of metals, organics, and greases that are far higher than domestic wastewater. The City of Battle Ground’s Pretreatment Program protects wastewater collection, treatment facilities, and the environment from the uncontrolled toxic pollutants. Any facility that discharges non-domestic wastewater to our sanitary sewer system must meet Clean Water requirements. This includes commercial establishments, such as restaurants, as well as manufacturers.

The best place to prevent pollution is at the source. Prevention practices keep pollutants out of the wastewater. Pretreatment can make wastewater safe to discharge to sanitary sewers.

All non-domestic wastewater users are required to submit an Environmental Survey as part of an application to open a business in the City of Battle Ground.

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Fats, oils, and grease are a serious maintenance problem for both the City and private business owners. When grease washes down a sink, it sticks to the sides of sewer pipe. The buildup restricts flow and by itself or in combination with other materials can block pipes completely, causing raw sewage to back up into a home or business. In order to prevent this the City requires that all businesses, that have the potential to produce grease, install a grease trap or interceptor to capture fats, oils, and grease before reaching the sewer system.

Food service providers, such as restaurants, are required to submit a Food Service Establishment (FSE) Survey prior to receiving occupancy for a building. Additionally, they are required to provide updated surveys if any significant changes are made.

Questions related to Pretreatment can be directed to the Public Works Engineering Division at 360-342-5070.