Street Preservation Program
Street Preservation Projects
In 2023 approximately $1.8 million is being invested to improve pavement conditions in neighborhoods throughout the city. This year's work includes mill & fill projects with curb ramp upgrades; pothole repair; crack sealing; and lane striping. Details are listed below.
Mill and Fill Projects
Three locations are scheduled for mill & fill projects where road surfaces will be completely replaced. Crews will come in and remove the existing surface layer, curb to curb, and replace it with a new layer of asphalt.
Curb ramps at locations within Mill & Fill project areas will be upgraded to current standards under Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to improve accessibility and mobility for all per federal requirements, along with additional intersection improvements including pedestrian signage.
2023 Mill & Fill Project Locations
- East Main Street; between Parkway Avenue to E. Fairground Avenue
- SW Eaton Blvd.; between NW 9th Avenue to S. Parkway Avenue
- West Main Street; east from SR 503 (600ft)
ADA Sidewalk Ramp Replacements
Starting August 17th, the ADA sidewalk ramps along East Main Street, at the southern corners of Eaton Boulevard and Parkway Avenue, as well as five (5) ADA ramps along SW 25th Street will be replaced, bringing them up to current design standards.
View ADA Ramps Replacement Map
Pavement and Pothole Repair
Potholes are repaired using hot asphalt where sections of roadway have developed deep potholes and crumbling asphalt. Crews dig out damaged areas to a depth of about one foot before filling and sealing the areas with hot asphalt. This process helps preserve the road until funding is available for a more permanent fix on the entire length of the roadway.
2023 Pothole Repair Locations
- NE Grace Avenue; between NE 10th Street to NE 1st Street
- NW 20th Avenue; between NW Onsdorff Blvd to NW 1st Way
- SW 20th Avenue; between SW 7th Circle to SW 11th Street
A chip seal is a two-step process in which an application of asphalt emulsion is placed on a pavement followed by a layer of crushed rock. Rollers are used to bind the rock into the asphalt emulsion. It is the City of Battle Ground’s policy to apply a fog seal over the chip seal to help bind everything together. Chip seals help prevent water intrusion, but their main benefit is to provide a wearing course, which protects the asphalt underneath. Chip seals are typically used on collector and arterial streets, which are in too poor of shape to benefit from micro-surfacing.
2023 Chip Seal Locations
- East Main Street; between E. Fairground Avenue to NE 16th Avenue
- NW 25th Street; between NW 4th Avenue to N. Parkway Avenue
- NE 132nd Avenue; between NE 249th Street to NW 25th Street
The application of asphalt rubber into cracks that occur on the roadway. Crack sealing prevents damaging water intrusion and prepares the roadways for the more expansive repair including curb to curb slurry seal.
2023 Crack Seal Locations
- Location 1 Map - SE Quadrant
- Location 2 Map - SW Scotton Way
- Location 3 Map - SE Quadrant
- Location 4 Map - NE Quadrant
- Location 5 Map - NW Quadrant
- Location 6 Map - NW Quadrant
- Location 7 Map - SW Quadrant
- Location 8 Map - NW Quadrant
- Location 9 Map - NW Quadrant
- Location 10 Map - NW Quadrant
- Location 11 Map - NE Quadrant
Slurry seal is cost-effective method of resurfacing smaller neighborhood streets. This quarter inch layer of water, asphalt emulsion, and coarse sand is applied to streets that are in fair or good condition, as a preventative maintenance measure.
The longevity of slurry sealcoat is dependent on the traffic load and weather conditions of the affected street. In general, slurry seal can last anywhere from three to nine years.
Managing Assets & Investment: Pavement Life Cycle
Proactive maintenance and preservation through regularly scheduled crack and slurry sealing, every 10 - 15 years after a street’s construction is the most effective method for extending the life of pavement. Established engineering studies show that a street left unmaintained after that timeline will deteriorate rapidly and necessitate a more detailed and expensive method of repair.