Form Center

By signing in or creating an account, some fields will auto-populate with your information and your submitted forms will be saved and accessible to you.

Police Department Complaint

  1. Message from the Chief

    The Battle Ground Police Department is a full service community based law enforcement agency committed to providing the community with the highest possible level of service. If we are not meeting your expectations, and I hope that is never the case, we have established procedures for filing a complaint.

    I hope that you will never need to use the information contained in this form. However, should the need arise, please submit your complaint with this on-line form or with the hard copy version available at the Police Department.

    I want to assure you that a complaint against the department will be handled in a prompt and unbiased manner. The Battle Ground Police Department will professionally investigate all citizen complaints in order to clear the officer's name or substantiate your complaint as soon as possible.

    Our goal is to work in partnership with the community to address concerns and improve service when needed.


    Michael G. Fort, Chief of Police

  2. Does the Police Department want complaints?

    Of course not. However, we do want to know if our service needs to be improved or corrected.

  3. Will you listen to my complaint?

    Certainly. We will investigate each matter and advise you of its disposition.

  4. Who would investigate my complaint?

    Your complaint will be reviewed by the Chief of Police who will assign it to the appropriate person.

  5. Do I have to complain in person?

    No. We prefer to talk to you in person, however, we will accept a complaint by phone, mail, email, or online form. It will not make a difference in the attention we give it.

  6. Do juveniles have the right to file a complaint?

    Yes, if you are under 18 years of age, you may still file a complaint. However, we will require you bring a parent or guardian with you. We will also require the parent or legal guardian to sign the complaint form.

  7. Will I have to write my complaint out?

    No, but we have found it much easier to investigate a written complaint, so we prefer it that way. If there are valid reasons this cannot be done, other arrangements can be made.

  8. What will happen to the officer(s)?

    That will depend on the disposition of the complaint investigation. If misconduct is found, the type of action taken will also depend on the officer's record. If the actions taken were criminal, the officer will be dealt with like any other member of the public. If they were improper but not criminal, counseling or discipline will be given.

  9. Will I find out the results of the investigation and the action taken against the officer?

    You may find out the disposition of the complaint (i.e., sustained, not sustained, exonerated or unfounded). The action taken is confidential and may be disclosed in accordance with state law.

  10. What if I am not satisfied with the result of the investigation?

    We certainly hope that would never happen. If it did, you could contact the Chief of Police or the City Manager.

  11. To whom will the complaint be reported?

    Complaints will be forwarded to the police officer's supervisor or the supervisor on duty.

  12. Complaint Form - Please provide the following information.

    Your Contact Information

  13. (Day/s of the week)

  14. (Hour/s of the day)

  15. Your Complaint Information

  16. You have the right to make a complaint against a police officer for misconduct. The Battle Ground Police Department is required to have a procedure to investigate citizen complaints. You have a right to a written description of this procedure. You have the right to submit a complaint and have it investigated if you believe an officer behaved improperly. However, once the investigation is complete, the department may find that there is not enough evidence to warrant action on your complaint.

  17. RCW 9A.76.175 Making a False or Misleading Statement to a Public Servant

    A person who knowingly makes a false or misleading material statement to a public servant is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. "Material statement" means a written or oral statement reasonably likely to be relied upon by a public servant in the discharge of his or her official powers or duties.

  18. I have read and understand the above statement.*

  19. Leave This Blank:

  20. This field is not part of the form submission.