Form Center

By signing in or creating an account, some fields will auto-populate with your information.

Police Department Commendation or Complaint

  1. Please note that pursuant to the state’s Public Records Act (RCW 42.56), documents are public records and may be subject to public disclosure. 

  2. Message from the Chief
    The Battle Ground Police Department is a full service community based law enforcement agency committed to providing the community with the highest possible level of service. If we exceed your expectations, we want to hear from you so we can recognize our officer. If we do not meet your expectations, we also want to hear from you so we can address any shortcomings. Below are the procedures for commendations and complaints.

    Please submit your commendation or complaint with this on-line form or with the hard copy version available at the Police Department.

    I want to assure you that commendations and complaints are very valuable for us to know what we are doing well and what we need to work on. Any commendation will be passed along to the officer as soon as possible; any complaint against an employee will be handled in a prompt and unbiased manner. The Battle Ground Police Department will professionally investigate all citizen complaints in order to clear the officer's name or substantiate your complaint as soon as possible.

    Our goal is to work in partnership with the community to address concerns, and improve service, and appreciate our officers.


    Michael G. Fort, Chief of Police
  3. Reporting Form - Please provide the following information.
    Your Contact Information
  4. Would you like us to follow up with you regarding this submission?*
  5. (Day/s of the week)
  6. (Hour/s of the day)
  7. Incident/ Event Information
  8. Please provide officer/ staff member's name, or description if name is unknown.
  9. Important information about filing complaints:
    You have the right to make a complaint against a police officer for misconduct. The Battle Ground Police Department is required to have a procedure to investigate citizen complaints. You have a right to a written description of this procedure. You have the right to submit a complaint and have it investigated if you believe an officer behaved improperly. However, once the investigation is complete, the department may find that there is not enough evidence to warrant action on your complaint.

    RCW 9A.76.175 Making a False or Misleading Statement to a Public Servant:
    A person who knowingly makes a false or misleading material statement to a public servant is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. "Material statement" means a written or oral statement reasonably likely to be relied upon by a public servant in the discharge of his or her official powers or duties.
  10. I have read and understand the above statement.*
  11. Does the Police Department want complaints?
    Of course not. However, we do want to know if our service needs to be improved or corrected.
  12. Will you listen to my complaint?
    Certainly. We will investigate each matter and advise you of its disposition.
  13. Who would investigate my complaint?
    Your complaint will be reviewed by the Chief of Police who will assign it to the appropriate person.
  14. Do juveniles have the right to file a complaint?
    Yes, if you are under 18 years of age, you may still file a complaint. However, we will require you bring a parent or guardian with you. We will also require the parent or legal guardian to sign the complaint form.
  15. What will happen to the officer(s)?
    That will depend on the disposition of the complaint investigation. If misconduct is found, the type of action taken will also depend on the officer's record. If the actions taken were criminal, the officer will be dealt with like any other member of the public. If they were improper but not criminal, counseling or discipline will be given.
  16. Do I have to complain in person?
    No. We prefer to talk to you in person, however, we will accept a complaint by phone, mail, email, or online form. It will not make a difference in the attention we give it.
  17. Will I have to write my complaint out?
    No, but we are able to complete a much more thorough investigation if we are clear about your complaint. We have found the most efficient way to investigate a complaint is to have it in writing, so we prefer it that way. If there are valid reasons this cannot be done, other arrangements can be made.
  18. Will I find out the results of the investigation and the action taken against the officer?
    You may find out the disposition of the complaint (i.e., sustained, not sustained, exonerated or unfounded). The action taken is confidential and may be disclosed in accordance with state law.
  19. What if I am not satisfied with the result of the investigation?
    We certainly hope that would never happen. If it did, you could contact the Chief of Police or the City Manager.
  20. To whom will the complaint be reported?
    Complaints will be forwarded to the police officer's supervisor or the supervisor on duty.
  21. Leave This Blank:

  22. This field is not part of the form submission.