There are many important reasons to obtain the required building permit(s) and inspections for your construction project.
- Helps protect your property value. Your home is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by the City of Battle Ground, the value of your investment may be reduced.
- Saves money. Property insurers may not cover work or damages caused by work done without permits and inspections.
- Makes selling property easier. When property is sold through a multiple listing association, the owner is required to disclose any improvements or repairs made and if permits and inspections were obtained. Many financial institutions will not finance a purchase without proof of a final inspection. If you decide to sell your home that has had modifications without a permit, you may be required to tear down the addition, leave it unoccupied, or do costly repairs.
- Improves safety. Your permit allows the building official to reduce potential hazards of unsafe construction in order to provide for public health, safety, and welfare. By following code guidelines, your completed project will meet minimum standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends, or future owner. Mandatory inspections act as a system of checks and balances resulting in a safer project.
- It’s the Law. Work requiring permits are required by City Ordinance. Working without a permit may be subject to removal or other costly remedies.